Are you a motivated hard-worker looking for a fun, outdoor job? Coastal Kayak is hiring conscientious individuals to work in the eco-tourism business. Candidates must be eager to learn and to work with the public. Positions available include lead kayak tour guides, beach staff (includes assistant tour guides, beach rental work), office/reservation assistant, and sailing instructors! All applicants must be at least 18 years old (21 for lead guides). All jobs may also lead to management positions!
All of Coastal Kayak staff will undergo extensive training. Those interested in becoming lead guides or instructors will be trained by an American Canoe Association Instructor Trainer!
Coastal Kayak Job Descriptions
- *Safety and Customer Service are our number one priorities! We are looking for friendly people with positive attitudes who are excited about working with the vacationing public.
- *All Coastal Kayak employees must be certified in adult, infant, and child CPR and First Aid. Certification must be completed prior to first day of employment.
- *Employees must become proficient in kayaking skills, paddle boarding skills, tour routes, local ecosystems, and sailing. This will require a commitment of personal time and study. All employees must attend a full day basic kayaking course for which they will not be paid. They will however receive this course for free. Employees will receive one free sailing lesson and paddleboard lesson.
This position requires excellent customer service and phone skills and good communication skills. Applicant must be able to work in a fast paced environment, be a quick learner – must learn about everything we offer, be able to explain it to customers, help them find their best options, and then handle the reservations. Applicant must be able to be on her/his feet for the entire shift. Must be at least 18 years old. Starting pay is $9.00 – $11.00 per hour depending on experience.
- *In charge of release of liability forms
- *Handling money and credit cards
- *Collect deposits and damage fees if needed
- *Answer the phones
- *Take tour reservations
- *Explain and enforce cancellation policies
- *Grasp complex scheduling options
- *Shop upkeep
This position is a combination of beach work, assistant kayak tour guiding, and office work. This is a physically demanding job. Applicants must be able to lift heavy kayaks, sailboats, equipment, etc. Applicants must be able to walk in sand, swim, and work outdoors in very hot and humid conditions. Must be at least 18 years old. Starting pay $9.00 – $11.00 per hour, depending on experience.
- *Give basic paddling and sailing instructions
- *Give boundaries and routes
- *Go over safety instructions and weather concerns
- *Help customers get fitted in their kayaks and SUPs
- *Assist customers in getting in and out of the boats
- *Perform rescues
- *Load kayak and SUP trailer for tours
- *Rig sailboats and haul to water
- *Drag kayaks and SUPs in and out of storage rack
- *Clean out shop
- *Clean out vans
Assistant Kayak & SUP Tour Guide:
- *Help load and unload kayak trailer
- *Help customers get fitted in their kayaks
- *Assist customers in getting into and out of the water
- *Offer basic paddling tips to enhance customer’s enjoyment
- *Help keep group together
- *Must be able to assist lead guide with rescues
- *Must enjoy talking with customers to ensure positive experience
- *Must know the tour routes (this will require some personal time to learn)
- *Must be able to point out and identify wildlife
- *Clean out kayaks and van after tours
- *Basic maintenance on PFDs, kayaks, etc
Lead Kayak &/or SUP Tour Guide
Lead groups of two to eighteen people on nature tours lasting from 2 hours to full day. This is a physically demanding job. Applicants must be able to lift heavy kayaks, walk in sand, swim, and work outdoors in very hot and humid conditions.
- *Determining tour routes based on tide, wind, and weather conditions
- *Handling emergency situations if they arise
- *Being able to control groups of varying abilities and ages
- *Pointing out wildlife and educating participants about wildlife habits and ecology
- *Knowing the tour routes (this will require some personal time to learn)
- *Helping customers get fitted in their kayaks and SUPs and get into and out of the water
- *Loading and unloading kayak and SUP trailer
- *Cleaning out kayaks and van after tours
- *Basic maintenance on PFDs, trailer, etc
Lead Guides must be at least 21 years old AND must have a clean driving record.
We require either ACA or BCU instructor certification or the ACA Trip Leader Assessment, and knowledge of nature and wildlife or the willingness to learn.
Lead guides must also pass a skills test administered by C.K. covering subjects on nature, tour routes, group safety, passenger van driving, trailer backing, loading and tying procedures, emergency situations, etc.
Becoming a lead guide for Coastal Kayak requires a true desire to learn about kayaking, routes, and nature. It will require a commitment of personal time and effort that many times will not be monetarily compensated. We provide the training but becoming a lead guide will take practice and study. Our season is short so the candidate will have a set amount of time to learn the required knowledge and will be tested on it. If the results are not satisfactory the employee will be able to be an assistant tour guide but not a lead guide.
Lead Guides are required to sign a non-compete agreement!
Pay depends on experience, certifications etc.
Give basic sailing instruction to beginners. The majority of lessons are given on our Hobie Wave Catamarans. Instructors will be trained as to what we require to be covered in the lessons. We require solid knowledge of basic sailing and a good teaching disposition. This position will require a commitment of personal time and study to become comfortable with the equipment and curriculum.
Must be at least 18 years old. Starting at $9.00 – $11.00 per hour.
Kayak/Paddleboard Delivery Driver
Drop off/pick up kayaks, paddleboards, paddlers, and other equipment. Assist customers filling out paperwork, give paddling and route instructions, and assist customers in and out of the equipment. This is a physically demanding job. Applicants must be able to lift heavy kayaks, walk in sand, swim, and work outdoors in very hot and humid conditions.
Must be at least 25 years old and have a clean driving record. Starting at $9.00 – $11.00 per hour